Monday 14 December 2015

Part four- Contemporary illustration- Project- Satirical illustration Exercise 1 and 2



Project- Satirical illustration

Research point






W.H " Royalty, Episcopy and the Law, a satirical view of the Court 1724


This is a classic example of the illustration that is current and will never go out of the fashion if I may say so. The  reason for that is those three main institutions are always difficult to trust. There will be constantly a reason why public will look at the with suspicious eye. If I could take this illustration and make it my in my own way I would use current representatives of these three institutions. I would look from one country to another Like : France, Italy, Poland or United Kingdom and put current names that they are in power. I would use modern style to capture the affairs between one and another person.

 






Research point

I have done a research on current caricature where I can easily say that the exaggeration plays key part to all of them. The success of most of them is taking the face or body features are the most recognizable for that person or celebrities and make the bigger. It could also be the style of that person or some item that he or she carries with all the time. The contemporary artists have been used this style for a long time and some of them managed to achieved great illustrations. However in my opinion this style will have not the best opinion and the main reasons are the artists who work on the streets and offer a quick caricature portrait so we can all have one at home. These people are also artists with the skill to capture our unique features and many times they make an attribute out of them.    

 

Exercise: Caricature and character











Lady Gaga from the song "Poker Face"


















Hugh Laurie








Jeremy Clarkson









I found this exercise pretty difficult to handle as this is not my cup of tea. The caricature shows that you are able to pick on someone's negative parts of the face or body which in my opinion may be found bit rude. This part of the illustration is mainly a male sector as they have more abilities to describe other people in a sharp way. I have never been a big fan of this illustration however I can see there is a market for that like the political magazines or political websites.

I did try my best during this task. It is good to try new things and get out of your comfort zone. I am happy with a caricature of Hugh Laurie as it has still my pencil line and some soft shapes. I found this person quit easy draw and it made me fill more relaxed.

Will I be using this type of illustration in the future? Probably yes. I can not predict what sort of challenges I will come across in the future. It is good to keep this in my head as an excellent experience. Maybe I will be asked to design an illustration with that contains a caricature style as well?

 

 

 

Exercise: World affairs


I picked Jeremy Corbyn for this exercise as in my opinion is very colourful character on British political stage. He does not mean harm however his actions are not the most reasonable and well planned. He claims that he wants to fight for the poor people by taking from reach society; therefore he reminds me of Robin Hood I am going to draw him using only pencil then my next step will be Photoshop. I would like to achieve simple image of his face in the Robin's Hood outfit.





A quick sketch of his face and Robin's Hood outfit.







 
 
 
 
 
 
 

This is my finished illustration.

 Could I work on it bit more? Perhaps yes. I do get the impression that if someone is very much in the politic will probably spend more time on this project.  I do believe so I did my best; however I would like to spent more effort on polishing this illustration. Maybe I could give some more funny details to his character or by making the background more busy my illustration become more interesting? Maybe I could also use different technique? I will defiantly come back to this exercise in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment